Thursday, October 16, 2008

XULRunner progress

I look at the clock and groan.

Tweaking application.ini for MyBrowser lets me run it for Gecko 1.9 (the same platform that Canvas 3d is limited to), but it still won't let me install the C3D extension for it.

I decided that it'd be easier to start with Firefox and remove unnecessary features, than try to improve on Smedberg's MyBrowser. For one, Firefox has documentation...

I now have a Minefield build that can render a 3d context. Yay! But, as Jesse has pointed out, I can't just zip the bin folder and send it to someone; the homepage settings and installed extensions for it seem to be buried somewhere else in my computer. It's like ripping a heart out and expecting it to work without the veins.

I am now delving through source code, looking for places where FF stores data in "Documents and Settings" so that I can tell it to store data in the same location as the executable. Finding these places is one nightmare, figuring out how to change it is salt in the wound. Despite that, I plod onwards; there are people awaiting the results.

No comments: